QLIF papers in 'Cultivating the Future Based on Science'
by Lars Elsgaard, ICROFS
QLIF scientists contributed 24 research and workshop papers to the 2nd Scientific Conference of ISOFAR, held at the 16th IFOAM Organic World Congress, that also hosted the 4th annual QLIF Congress.
The presented QLIF papers, as outlined below, are available in the proceedings of the ISOFAR conference and likewise in Organic Eprints.
QLIF workshop papers from the 4th annual congress
The 4th QLIF congress was organized in the form of five interdisciplinary workshops that took place during the 16th Organic World Congress.
During each workshop a moderator successfully assisted in integrating the participants actively in discussion of major topics of the QLIF project which were briefly presented.
The five workshop issues, that were presented, were related to:
- Product quality in organic and low input farming systems
- Safety of foods from organic and low input farming systems
- Performance of Organic and Low Input Crop Production Systems
- Performance of organic and low input livestock systems:
a matter of sound design?
- Resource efficiency of organic and low input systems in comparison to intensive agriculture
The following synthesis papers describing the workshop issues are available in Organic Eprints:
- Lueck, L., Brandt, K., Seal, C., Rembialkovska, E., Huber, M., Butler, G., Bennett, R., Oughton, L., Nicholas, P., Kretzschmar, U., Sundrum, A., and Leifert, C. (2008) QLIF Workshop 1: Product quality in organic and low input farming systems. Organic Eprints 13376
- Leifert, C., Koepke, U., Bonde, M., Stanley, R., Hamm, U., Wyss, G., Benbrook, C., Hajslova, J., Lueck, L. and Cooper, J. (2008) QLIF Workshop 2: Safety of foods from organic and low input farming systems. Organic Eprints 13379
- Köpke, U., Cooper, J., Petersen, H.L., van der Burgt, G.J.H.M., and Tamm, L. (2008) QLIF Workshop 3: Productivity of Organic and Low Input Systems (Crops). Organic Eprints 13378
- Spoolder, H., Biavati, B., Borgsteede, F., Davies, D., Klocke, P., Maurer, V., Nagel, P., Nicholas, P., van Krimpen, M., Mejer, H., Modesto, M., Strozzi, G.P., Thamsborg, S.M., Vermeer, H., Wagenaar, J.P., Zollitsch, W., and Sundrum, A. (2008) Performance of organic and low input livestock systems: a matter of sound design? Organic Eprints 13351
- Thorup-Kristensen, K., Brennan, M., Halberg, N., Cooper, J., Lampkin, N., and Niggli, U. (2008) Resource efficiency of organic and low input systems in comparison to intensive agriculture. Organic Eprints 13352
QLIF papers from the scientific ISOFAR conference
In addition to the QLIF workshops, individual presentations from QLIF have entered the scientific programme of the ISOFAR Scientific Conference following the general procedure for submission of scientific contributions. Thus, a number of individual QLIF presentations were given and are included in the Proceedings of the Second Scientific Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research (ISOFAR).
These QLIF contributions are also available through Organic Eprints:
- Abel, S., Weissensteiner, R., Marien, C., Zollitsch, W., and Sundrum, A. (2008) Effects of a feeding strategy to increase intramuscular fat content of pork under the conditions of organic farming. Organic Eprints 11811
- Baranska, A.; Rembialkowska, E.; Lueck, L. and Leifert, C. (2008) The effect of medium term feeding with organic, low input and conventional diet on selected immune parameters in rat. Organic Eprints 12653
- Baruffa, E., Picard, C., Sabbioni, F., Petrozza, A., Giovannetti, G., and Bosco, M. (2008) Plant-probiotic microorganisms for a sustainable buffer of input reduction in organic and low-input tomato production systems. Organic Eprints 11809
- Casagrande, M., David, C., Etienne, C., Makowski, D., Valantin-Morison, M., and Jeuffroy, M.H. (2008) Agronomic and environmental factors explaining Grain Protein Content variability in organic winter wheat. Organic Eprints 11825
- Cooper, J., Schmidt, C.S., Lueck, L., Shotton, P.N. and Leifert, C. (2008) Effects of crop management factors and the environment on pest and disease incidence in vegetables. Organic Eprints 11747
- Cooper, J. and Melchett, P. (2008) Should organic farmers be rewarded for sequestering C in soil? Organic Eprints 11425
- Eyre, M.D., Labanowska-Bury, D., White, R., and Leifert, C. (2008) Beneficial Invertebrate Activity in Organic and Conventional Vegetable Fields in Eastern England. Organic Eprints 11474
- Eyre, M.D., Shotton, P.N., and Leifert, C. (2008) Crop Type and Management Effects on Ground Beetle Species (Coleoptera, Carabidae) Activity in an Extensive Plot Trial. Organic Eprints 11478
- Eyre, M.D., Shotton, P.N., and Leifert, C. (2008) Spider (Araneae) Species Activity, Crop Type and Management Factors in an Extensive Plot Trial. Organic Eprints 11479
- Fischer-Arndt, M., Neuhoff, D., and Köpke, U. (2008) Effects of weed management strategies on quality and enteric pathogen contamination of organic lettuce. Organic Eprints 12547
- Hallmann, E., and Rembiałkowska, E. (2008) The Content of Selected Antioxidant Compounds in Bell Pepper Varieties from Organic and Conventional Cultivation Before and After Freezing Process. Organic Eprints 12516
- Midmore, P., Ayres, N., Lund, T.B., Naspetti, S., Zanoli, R., and O'Doherty Jensen, K. (2008) Understanding the Organic Consumer through Narratives: an International Comparison. Organic Eprints 12574
- Nagel, P., Domig, K.J., Hagmüller, W., Pfalz, S., Kronsteiner, S., Ortner, B., Sundrum, A., and Zollitsch, W. (2008) Effects of silage or probiotics on performance and gut microbial composition of organic growing-finishing pigs. Organic Eprints 11787
- Naspetti, S., Paladini, M.E., Bteich, M.R., and Zanoli, R. (2008) Collaborative relationships in the organic wheat supply chain: a case study on three EU Countries. Organic Eprints 12601
- Ploeger, A., Roeger, M., Lueck, L., and Leifert, C. (2008) Sensory evaluation of processed wheat from a defined field- trial (QualityLowInputFood). Organic Eprints 12178
- Särkkä-Tirkkonen, M., Leskinen, M., and Ölmez, H. (2008) Pilot scale application of ozonated water wash effect on microbiological and sensory quality parameters of processed iceberg lettuce during shelf-life. Organic Eprints 11572
- Timmermans, B.G.H. and Osman, A.M. (2008) Differences between spring wheat cultivars in susceptibility to Fusarium caused seedling blight. Organic Eprints 11945
- Volakakis, N.; Eyre, Dr M.D.; Kabourakis, Dr E. and Leifert, Prof C. (2008) Olive fly (Bactrocera oleae) activity, fruit infestation and temperature in an organic table olive orchard in southern Crete. Organic Eprints 11481
- Wiśniewska, K., Rembiałkowska, E., Hallmann, E., Rusaczonek, A., Lueck, L. ,and Leifert, C. (2008) The antioxidant compounds in rat experimental diets based on plant materials from organic, low-input and conventional agricultural systems. Organic Eprints 12324
Complete Reference to the ISOFAR Proceedings
The complete Reference to the ISOFAR Proceedings is given below and the printed edition is available through the FiBL Shop.
||Cultivating the Future Based on Science. Volume 1 and 2.
Proceedings of the Second Scientific Conference of the International Society of Organic Agriculture Research (ISOFAR), held at the 16th IFOAM Organic World Congress in Cooperation with the International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM).
Edited by Daniel Neuhoff, Niels Halberg, Thomas Alföldi, William Lockeretz, Andreas Thommen, Ilse A. Rasmussen, John Hermansen, Mette Vaarst, Lorna Lueck, Fabio Caporali, Henning Hogh Jensen, Paola Migliorini, and Helga Willer
International Society of Organic Agriculture Research (ISOFAR), Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), 1st Edition, 2008, 835 and 863 pages, 1506, ISBN 978-3-03736-027-9.